A new Crown Centre
Planning permission was originally granted in 2008 for the conversion of the Crown Centre, to include a food store, smaller retail units, a new market hall and residential apartments. A later proposal to incorporate a 120 room hotel in place of the apartments was granted the following year.
We have now agreed to take over the developer role to deliver a brand new scheme which we believe offers improvements compared to the previous proposals. Some of the significant changes include:
- Reducing the height of the buildings from the earlier development
- Creating more open space and improving the public area around Town Square
- A design that is more in keeping with the surrounding area of historic and listed buildings
- Improving pedestrian links to the ring road
- Making the centre easily accessible by car, public transport, by bike and to pedestrians
As part of the proposals, we will refurbish the Stourbridge Lion and relocate it to the centre of the Mall. The Town Council's coat of arms will also be restored and moved to the floor of the Mall.
The Library and Town Hall entrance will be refurbished, and the Library frontage will also be extended. These buildings, along with the Theatre, will still be able to be accessed via an improved entrance from the Crown Centre when completed.
Other improvements to the Crown Centre include a central Food Court, new and refurbished shops, new offices and better linkages to Market Street.